Monday, April 16, 2018

My Space



Just to clarify, I’m not writing about MySpace - the original social media platform popular in the early 2000’s before Mark Z’s behemoth swallowed it whole. Nope, I’m wondering about your space. The space you go to when you need to be alone, unwind, read, write, pray, meditate, hide from the kids or just relax. Is it an office? A coffee shop? Your car? Bed? A special chair surrounded by cats (hi Mom!)

After months of sitting at my kitchen table to write, I realized I needed a change of scenery. Fewer distractions (not cool when I wake up at 5:45am to write and a certain seven-year-old decides to wake up a half hour after me and chat my ear off). A place where all of my writing “tools” can be readily accessible (and the food in my kitchen NOT so accessible). 

So I created a little office in our downstairs spare bedroom. I set up our Costco six-foot folding table in front of the window. It's not glamorous or pretty, but it's my space. Someday when we switch our kid's bedrooms around I'll have a proper office with a proper desk, but for now, I'm loving my space (and my view of crusty rose bushes and a massive pile of dirt...and don't even get me started on the snow in April).


My middle daughter Emily will be ten on Sunday. This girl definitely has a space that is perfect for her. Santa brought her this (is it pink? is it purple?) chair for Christmas and she parks herself in it daily. New last week was the addition of a pillow and sitting sideways on it to experience maximum comfort and relaxation. Love this girl so much.




My darling husband has a space that you'll find him in many times throughout the day. We call it his reading chair. Because he loves to read in it, duh. We move the furniture around in our four seasons room every year. He likes it arranged one way, I like it another way so we've agreed to switch it yearly after the Christmas tree comes down. We're weird. But that chair never moves an inch. And it never will because it is his happy place.



One day, seven-year-old Owen asked his dad to build him a desk so he could "work". Ask and you shall receive! Owen loves this desk. He loves reading and writing and drawing in his space. He also loves to "organize" the area (be still my heart). He has a cute little bulletin board where all of his important information goes and asked for pencils, a pencil sharpener, tape dispenser and a stapler for Christmas. This kid is insanely adorable.


Ella the tweenager has a tweenage space to relax - her bed. She and her sister sleep in bunk beds and she has the top bunk (I don't know why they have bunk beds, they sleep together almost every night). Everything she needs is precariously perched on the edge of the bed. I can't imagine having a space where I can reach up and touch the ceiling...but to each his own.


Now I want to hear from YOU! Where is your space? Or do you have one? Or do you know someone who has a unique space? Please share! Bonus points if you post a photo!

Until Next Time, 
Neko

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home