Wednesday, April 4, 2018

What I Buy At ALDI

Image result for aldi logo

ALDI is one of my new favorite stores. It is so different than the ALDI of five years ago. ALDI carries high-quality products at low prices. How do they get their prices so low you ask? They cut costs in several areas.
  • Fewer staff members needed because of efficiencies they have in place. ALDI has barcodes on several sides of products that makes scanning/check-out faster, no special staff needed for specialty areas, paying a quarter for carts (returned when you return the cart) so no parking lot “clean up” is needed, bag your own groceries with your own bags, etc.
  • They carry fewer products and usually only one choice from each product. For example, if you want green beans, you have one choice. If you want honey, you have one choice. ALDI can buy higher quantities of popular products if they’re not carrying multiple brand names. Fewer products equal less space needed and less overhead.
  • Items are displayed in the boxes they are shipped in so less time is needed stocking shelves.

I’m sure there are many more reasons but let’s get to my nine favorite products.

#1
Winking Owl Merlot ($2.89)

Wine - you knew I’d get there eventually so let’s just start with it. Merlot is my favorite. Don’t let the price fool you. Priced similarly to the Three Buck Chuck from Trader Joes, this merlot tastes so much smoother. I think it also tastes oddly like a cabernet, but I do not have a very distinguished wine palette so don’t quote me on that. Regardless of cab or merlot, it’s delicious.

Winking Owl Merlot

#2
Hop Lift Beer ($7.99 for four)

Funny story, I took a picture of this beer in ALDI and my husband didn’t want me to share it. He thought all of my readers would flock to the store and he wouldn’t be able to find it anymore. I think he might *slightly* overestimate my readership. Regardless, it was cute. This is my hubby’s favorite beer and he’s not shy about letting people know this. I don’t drink IPA so can’t give it a fair assessment (it would likely be ewwwww!) But for all of you IPA-ers, give it a shot!

Image result for hop lift beer

#3
Simms Hard Salami ($4.99)

I don’t know what it is about these little guys, but they are delicious. They are not the healthiest thing I’ve ever eaten (can non-refrigerated meat be healthy?), but I’m a huge sucker for meat and cheese and love these as a “sometimes treat”.




#4

Aunt Maple’s Buttermilk Complete Pancake Mix ($1.49)

First of all, I love complete pancake mixes. If I’m going to let my kids have cake for breakfast, I don’t want to waste an egg on it. And it tastes just as good - if not better - than all of the name brand versions we’ve tried in the past.




#5
Moser Roth Chocolate ($1.99) 

This chocolate is ALDI’s private label chocolate. And we love it. It comes in a package with four individually wrapped bars. My favorite is mint, hubby’s favorite is 85% dark chocolate (which tastes delicious only if I’ve been on a clean eating kick for a few weeks). These little gems are a nice and healthy-ish sweet treat when we need a hit of sugar.




#6
Simply Nature Organic Free Range Chicken Broth ($1.49)

When I don’t have homemade chicken broth on hand (I’ve never had homemade chicken broth on hand), this is my go to. It is good quality, cheap and I love boxed version broths with resealable tops. Enough said.


#7
Happy Harvest Canned Vegetables (varies but cheap) 

I dare you to do a side by side comparison of ALDI Happy Harvest canned vegetables and other name brand versions. It will be the same and likely better. Guaranteed. (Okay, I can’t really guarantee it, that was mainly added to emphasize my point). And once again, cheap price but not cheap quality!




#8
Casa Mamita Taco Seasoning Mix packets ($.89)

I know, I know, I should make my own taco seasoning. And I have, but usually, I’d rather have the satisfaction of ripping the top of my packet off and having perfect portion controlled seasoning. I’m really not as lazy as that sounded. Anyway, this seasoning is delicious. If you are a packet girl like me, give it a shot.
Image result for casa mamita taco seasoning

 #9
Barissimo Caramel Cappuccino Cups ($3.89) 

I've mentioned these glorious cups in my Friday Favorites but it is worth repeating. Nutritionally, they aren't too bad if you occasionally have one mug. Waaaaay better than what you would get at a gas station from a big machine. And tastes waaaaay better than what you would get at Starbucks...let's just say it's a happy medium. And let's just say you should run to ALDI and get a box.




There you have it, my ALDI favorites! What items do you buy from ALDI? Don't forget your quarter and bags!!

Until Next Time, 
Neko

P.S. Stay tuned for my Trader Joes and Costco favorite products!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home