Sunday, April 8, 2018

"I Can Only Imagine" Movie Review

Image result for i can only imagine movie

The Christian song "I Can Only Imagine" is a triple platinum song by MercyMe (no idea what that means but it's the only Christian song to do that) and the most played Christian song of all time...that I get. If you've been hiding under a rock (well, the song IS 20 years old) then be prepared to have your mind blown and take a ride on an emotional roller coaster. You can listen to the song here.

Since you've been hiding under a rock for so long, you might not know that "I Can Only Imagine" is also in theaters right now (trailer here). The movie is based on the song (obviously) that was written by the lead singer of MercyMe, Bart Millard.

I'm not going to spoil the movie for you, but if you've seen the trailer you know that Bart was abused by his father and his mother left them when he was a boy. After leaving home and pursuing a music career with his band MercyMe, he returned home to find his father had turned to God and begged his son for forgiveness.

A friend and I went to this movie recently. You guys, I'm not even kidding when I say this movie has all the feels. All of them. What's on your heart today?

  • Forgiveness? 
  • Redemption? 
  • Fear of following your dreams? 
  • Afraid to love? 
  • Listening to God's call? 
  • Letting God soften your heart? 
  • Hope? 
  • Fear? 
  • Love?
  • Anger? 
  • Compassion?
  • Missed Opportunities? 
  • Losing your way? 
  • Developing a relationship with God?
  • Evaluating your priorities?
  • Life direction?

If you said yes to any of these, then you need to see this movie. OK, calm down. This is not going to be another "The Greatest Showman" situation where I go berserk about a movie and talk about it incessantly (FYI, TGS comes out on DVD Tuesday). But yes, it did affect me and move me in all the right ways. And yes, several of the bullet points are prevalent in my life right now so this movie was just what I needed.

It is a powerful story about redemption - Bart's and his father's. Along with the redemption storyline, it weaves in following your dreams even when you think you are not enough. When God places a dream in your heart - despite all disappointments and failures - don't give up. He has a plan for your life. And of course, a story of second chances and forgiveness. Check your heart on this one, is there anyone you need to give a second chance? Or at least forgiveness?

There is no swearing in this movie, the abusiveness can be a little intense, but it is not a large part of the movie so I wouldn't shy away from it for that reason. It's worth it for how you feel when you leave the theater. Bring a tissue.

My rating: B+
My friend's rating: B+

It definitely made me more excited for the MercyMe and Tenth Avenue North concert next Thursday. It's a girls night out with my mom and two of my sister-and-laws. Anyone else going?

If you've seen this movie, I'd love to hear what you think!

Until Next Time,
Neko










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home