Monday, February 12, 2018

Who Doesn't Love a Good Chick Flick?



With lots of melting snow on the ground and a 5K coming up in 33 days, I decided it was a treadmill day today. Blech is how I feel about my treadmill. So I decided I’d watch a good chick flick while I ran. While perusing Netflix I came across “Definitely, Maybe”. Um, hello super cute movie that I had never heard of! Ryan Reynolds? Yes. Isla Fischer? Yes. It was adorably cute and sweet and I loved every second of it.

And then, of course, I was motivated to write about my favorite old school chick flicks. In no particular order:

The Wedding Planner (Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Lopez)
This movie is ah-maz-ing! Maybe I resonate with it because J-Lo is a little OCD and I find that super endearing. Or maybe I resonate with it because it’s Matthew and he’s one of my all time favs (he makes it onto my list again below!) Or maybe because it’s about wedding planning which I think would be my dream job if it didn’t require working every weekend and having to deal with bridezillas. Whatever it is, this is a movie I go back to time and time again.

Pretty Woman (Julia Roberts and Richard Gere)
My mom took me to see this movie when I was sixteen, my first rated R movie (in the theater at least). We both loved it! Who doesn’t love a good movie about a prostitute falling in love with a client, getting to shop on an unlimited budget and living happily ever after with a millionaire? Pure gold. Julia Roberts is so good and she also makes my list a second time. And I know people have mixed feelings about Richard Gere, but I’m a fan.

Sweet Home Alabama (Reese Witherspoon and Patrick Dempsey and Josh Lucas)
Reese Witherspoon sporting my dream haircut back in the day. I love Reese in this role, she’s super sassy and a troublemaker and just plain darling. I wish the movie gods would have swapped out the roles of Jake and Andrew so Reese would have ended up with Patrick Dempsey (who doesn’t love McDreamy!) instead of dumping him. Nonetheless, LOVE this movie.

Notting Hill (Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant)
The most adorable movie ever. Bumbling Hugh Grant is starstruck when famous movie star Julia Roberts walks into his little bookstore. He later runs into her again...literally runs into her...and spills coffee on her. She goes to his house to change (creepy?) and the rest is history. Hollywood starlet marries a bumbling Englishman. I'm sure that marriage lasted forever.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey)
Fashion, martinis, diamonds and Matthew...oh this movie. I’ve only seen it a hundred gazillion times. It is such a fun and easy movie to watch. You clearly know Matt and Kate will end up together but it is an adorable journey to get there. And how can I get an invite to a diamond party?

My Best Friend's Wedding (Julia Roberts and Dermot Mulroney and Cameron Diaz)
A food critic and a sports guy make a pact that if they haven’t married by age 28 they would marry each other. Julia and Dermot would have been a lovely couple if Julia would have been able to pull it together and tell Dermot she loved him under the bridge. “You just say it!” SAY IT JULIA!!! She didn’t say it. And Dermot married adorable Cameron Diaz. I doubt that marriage lasted and J & D probably ended up together in the long run. That’s what I’m telling myself. Another classic I’ve watched over and over.

Honorable mentions include: The Devil Wears Prada, Failure to Launch, Serendipity and Sleepless in Seattle.

I have so many more movies I could write about but would love to know your favorites! What rom-coms do you watch over and over? I need some new treadmill material...doesn’t look like this snow is going away anytime soon.

Until Next Time,
Neko


2 Comments:

At February 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM , Blogger Kelly Banning said...

I agree with the movies you listed - but would have to add The Notebook and Titanic to that list. I will never let go =)

 
At February 20, 2018 at 1:28 PM , Blogger Neko said...

Both solid picks, I also probably should have added The Holiday, too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home