Thursday, January 18, 2018

Instagram is Hard and I'm Old

Image result for Instagram image

Everything I’ve read lately says Instagram is where it’s at. (Maybe because I googled something along the lines of...is Instagram where it’s at?) I’m trying to navigate this new Insta-world personally and for this blog and holy moly. It’s overwhelming and confusing and cool and trendy all wrapped up into one ball of inspiration.

So today I’m publicly shaming myself for my lack of “getting” Instagram.

Here’s the deal peeps. I’m forty-one years old. I’ve been emerged in the world of Facebook for many years. I get it and love it. Learning new technology is hard! I used to laugh at people joining Facebook. “It’s so easy!” I’d say. “Nothing to it!” I’d say. Now I feel ancient. And a little confused and a LOT lost. Maybe a little bad that I have made fun of people who don’t understand Facebook.

What I love is the beautiful photos on Instagram. What I don’t love is judging every photo I take to make sure it’s Insta-worthy. On my personal page where only my friends follow me I’m pretty chillax about it. I might throw on an Insta-filter for fun, but am not freaking out about it.

My personal page is meh, but I really don’t mind, my friends are cool. However, I recently created a “professional” page...I can hear you laughing, I’m TOTALLY a professional people! Anyway, I got as far as creating a profile - miraculously whatsaneko was not taken (sarcasm) - and then was paralyzed by fear. So this is what it looks like now:


Look! I already have one follower! (It’s me, I was feeling the love for my professional self).

Oh but fear not, there are a ga-trillion (yeah, that’s a number) articles about how to use Instagram to promote yourself. Everyone has a slightly different take. Some say to post your pretty pictures. Some say your pretty pictures have to be strategically placed to form a pretty pattern in the groupings of three or it will look weird! (hold me)

And then the hashtags, oh the hashtags. Up to 30 hashtags? For the love! I still don’t completely understand the hash tags. Do people randomly search for topics on Instagram? Is this a thing?

I know it takes patience (I have none) and spending time using it (it’s so intimidating), but I can do this. Right? Yes, I will conquer this Insta-monster! Is there is anyone out there who would like to have an Insta-session to teach me all they know? I have wine. Lot’s of wine.

At the very least I’d love any tips you have to help me navigate this Insta-beast.

[Pause for a sidenote: Does my use of “Insta” remind anyone else of Pitch Perfect where the acapella singers say things like “aca-scuse me” or “aca-awkward” or “aca-awesome”?]

At the very, very least, would you follow my whatsaneko Instagram page? If I can figure it out, I’ll post the most awesome things on it. My photos will take your breath away (no they won’t). I’m a huge fan of memes so there’s that.

Thank you my loyal followers!

Until Next Time,
Neko

2 Comments:

At January 18, 2018 at 10:59 AM , Blogger Zeller Family said...

With wine, I will teach you everything I know :)

 
At January 18, 2018 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Neko said...

You're a true friend!!! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home