Thursday, December 7, 2017

Christmas Gift Goal


Every year my goal is to be done Christmas shopping by December 1st. Black Friday shopping and then Cyber Monday shopping and then December 1st...done. Sounds easy, right? Every year I fail. Every. Single. Year. But this year I’ve determined it’s not my fault and it’s an unrealistic goal. Here’s why:

#1 Neverending unplanned gifts

Just this week I found out I have to buy three gifts I wasn’t expecting. One last week, too. Listen to my heart on this one. I don’t mind having to get the gifts, in fact, they are well-deserved gifts (and I enjoy shopping, bonus!). I also don’t mind spending the extra money for the gifts, I’m happy to. It’s 100% about me. I made a pretty little list of the people I had to buy for, crossing names off one by one. These four gifts were not on the list. How can I close the chapter on 2017 Christmas shopping when new gifts keep popping up? These things I have no control over and could never plan for. December 1st is unrealistic.

#2 I’m at the mercy of people getting me their lists

I could buy them something I think they would like, but I would rather buy them something I know they would love. I was complaining to my husband right before Good Friday about not having everyone’s lists. He said, Neko, it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, why would people get their lists to you before Thanksgiving? Touche husband, touche. Just because my goal is to be done by the end of November, doesn’t mean everyone else shares the same goal. December 1st is unrealistic.

#3 My kids change their minds a hundred million times

Kids can’t seem to make up their minds. Or they see something new and shiny and change their mind. Or they hear of something their friend is asking for and they want the same. Their lists are constantly changing! For example, when my youngest was making his Christmas list (before Thanksgiving) he said I really, really hope Santa gives me Minecraft blind boxes in my stocking. No problem, check and check (#blackfriday). Three days ago youngest says to me, “I really hope Santa gives me Crossy Road blind boxes in my stocking!” I calmly replied with, “I thought you wanted Minecraft blind boxes?” He said, “Nope, I have waaaay too many of those, now I want to collect Crossy Road.” Serenity now. Save your receipts people. And if you want to know what Crossy Road is you’ll have to google it. December 1st is unrealistic.

#4 My husband is impossible to shop for

Seriously. I know this man better than any other human being on the planet. In fact, I found a shirt I thought he’d love at Target yesterday. He did love it in fact, because it was already hanging in his closet from when he bought it this summer. So I know him well. But for Christmas shopping? Why is this an impossible task?! Well, for starters, he really doesn’t need anything or want anything. But Christmas morning would be very sad if he had nothing to open. If you have any great gift ideas, send them my way! And please don’t ask me to make (aka craft) something for him, I’m not that kinda girl (this includes making a homemade coupon book….ew!). So because he is impossible to shop for and I am usually looking until December 23rd for creative ideas, December 1st is unrealistic.

To summarize, I have determined that my 2018 Christmas gift buying goal is (drumroll please)...

I will be 90% done with Christmas shopping by December 1st.

Phew, I feel so much better! That will allow me to maintain my sanity for the last minute gifts that pop up. Next year. Do you have gift buying goals? What are they? Do you have suggestions for a new way for me to structure gift buying in 2018? Keep in mind I’m type A so “no goal” is not an option.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home